Dissociation and Misdiagnosis in Populations Experiencing Chronic Discrimination and Social Defeat
The elevated rate of psychotic symptoms in isolated, inner-city Black populations is well established. This presentation will review the available evidence that this amplification in psychosis-like symptoms is mediated by childhood trauma, disorganized attachment, and social defeat. These three variables combine in early childhood to create a pattern of dissociative coping strategies. Undiagnosed dissociative spectrum illness is mediating the increased rate of psychosis-like symptoms in these disadvantaged, minority communities. Case material will be used to highlight this phenomenon.
This session was originally presented as a live conference session in April 2023.
At the conclusion of this session participants will be able to:
- Summarize the history of racial disparities in the diagnosis of schizophrenia
- Define Social Defeat and recognize its etiological role in dissociative disorders
- Describe the role of disorganized attachment in childhood adversity and dissociative disorders
- Recognize the overlap of symptoms between psychosis and dissociation
- Design a treatment plan to work with patients suffering from discrimination and social defeat
"Your Price" above reflects your final price based on your membership status and career level.
- ISSTD defines a student as those enrolled in a program of study leading to a degree or certification in the mental health field and who have an interest in trauma and dissociation.
- ISSTD defines an emerging professional as mental health professionals who have completed an advanced degree and are in the first three years of their career (or first three years after graduation for researchers).
- If you do not fall into one of the above categories please register as Professional/Retired.
These prices are for Tier I countries. For a list of countries by Tier click here. If you are located in a country that falls into Tier II-VI please contact ISSTD at firstname.lastname@example.org to receive the appropriate discount code.
All purchases of recorded content are final.