The Progressive Approach of EMDR Through a Case Example
The "Progressive Approach" (Gonzalez & Mosquera, 2012) was introduced in 2010, as a proposal to use of EMDR with Dissociative Disorders in safe way. After many early cautions about the potential dangers of using EMDR with individuals suffering from dissociative disorders, EMDR is still considered by many clinicians as offering interventions that are limited to the treatment of traumatic memories in high functioning clients, and only after a long preparation phase. But this is only one of the ways EMDR can be used with this population.
Using this model, this webinar will address how EMDR clinicians can safely utilize a wide range of EMDR interventions early in the preparatory phase of treatment. A clinical case will be used to illustrate interventions with EMDR for dissociative clients following the “Progressive Approach”.
This session was originally presented as a live webinar in January 2019
Upon completion of this webinar participants will be able to:
- Describe three key aspects of the Progressive Approach model for dissociative clients
- Identify three or more EMDR procedures for dissociative clients and link these to different phases of EMDR treatment
- List examples of dissociative phobias and how to describe methods to work with them
Presenter: Dolores Mosquera, Psy
Presenter Bio: Dolores Mosquera, is a psychologist and psychotherapist specializing in severe and complex trauma, personality disorders, and dissociation. She is an accredited EMDR Europe Trainer and supervisor. Dolores is the director of the Institute for the Study of Trauma and Personality Disorders (INTRA-TP) in A Coruña, Spain—a 3-clinic private institution initially founded in 2000 as LOGPSIC. She collaborates with two different Domestic Violence Programs, one focused on Women Victims of DV and another one on Males with Violent Behavior. She belongs to the Spanish National Network for the Assistance of Victims of Terrorism, and also collaborates with an organization aiding victims of emergencies, accidents, violent attacks, kidnapping and other traumatic incidents. Dolores has extensive teaching experience leading seminars, workshops, and lectures internationally. She has published 15 books and numerous articles on personality disorders, complex trauma, and dissociation, and is a recognized expert in this field. Dolores received the David Servan-Schreiber award for outstanding contribution to EMDR in 2017.
- 1.50 APAThe International Society for the Study of Trauma and Dissociation is approved by the American Psychological Association to sponsor continuing education for psychologists. The International Society for the Study of Trauma and Dissociation maintains responsibility for this program and its content.
- 1.50 ASWB ACEThe International Society for the Study of Trauma and Dissociation (ISSTD), #1744, is approved to offer social work continuing education by the Association of Social Work Boards (ASWB) Approved Continuing Education (ACE) program. Organizations, not individual courses, are approved as ACE providers. State and provincial regulatory boards have the final authority to determine whether an individual course may be accepted for continuing education credit. ISSTD maintains responsibility for this course. ACE provider approval period: 08/20/2021 – 08/20/2024. Social workers completing this course receive 1.50 continuing education credits.
- 1.50 ISSTD Certificate ProgramThis program is eligible for 1.50 credits in the ISSTD Certificate Program.
"Your Price" above reflects your final price based on your membership status and career level.
- ISSTD defines a student as those enrolled in a program of study leading to a degree or certification in the mental health field and who have an interest in trauma and dissociation.
- ISSTD defines an emerging professional as mental health professionals who have completed an advanced degree and are in the first three years of their career (or first three years after graduation for researchers).
- If you do not fall into one of the above categories please register as Professional/Retired.
These prices are for Tier I countries. For a list of countries by Tier click here. If you are located in a country that falls into Tier II-VI please contact ISSTD at email@example.com to receive the appropriate discount code.