Session Three - Dissociation, emotion and neurobiology
Session Three – Content Level: Intermediate and advanced
Dissociation, emotion and neurobiology
- Discuss the neural processes related to dissociative experiences
- Define and discuss affect, feelings and emotions
- Discuss the centrality of emotion in the treatment of dissociative disorders
- Apply theory to case material provided by the students and instructor
- Chefetz, RA (2015) Intensive Psychotherapy for Persistent Dissociative Processes: The Fear of Feeling Real. NY, NY: Norton, Chapter 5, pp. 133-177.
- Howell, EF (2011) Understanding and treating Dissociative Identity Disorder: A Relational Approach, NY: NY Routledge, Chapter 6, pp. 109-131.
45 minutes: Discussion of Reading 2 – neural processes related to dissociative experiences
25 minutes: Discussion of Reading 1 – affect, feelings and emotions
20 minutes: Discussion of Reading 1 – centrality of emotion in treatment
60 minutes: Discussion of application of theories in A and B to disguised case material from students
- 2.50 APAThe International Society for the Study of Trauma and Dissociation is approved by the American Psychological Association to sponsor continuing education for psychologists. The International Society for the Study of Trauma and Dissociation maintains responsibility for this program and its content.
- 2.50 ASWB ACEThe International Society for the Study of Trauma and Dissociation (ISSTD), #1744, is approved to offer social work continuing education by the Association of Social Work Boards (ASWB) Approved Continuing Education (ACE) program. Organizations, not individual courses, are approved as ACE providers. State and provincial regulatory boards have the final authority to determine whether an individual course may be accepted for continuing education credit. ISSTD maintains responsibility for this course. ACE provider approval period: 08/20/2021 – 08/20/2024. Social workers completing this course receive 2.50 continuing education credits.
- 2.50 ISSTD Certificate ProgramThis program is eligible for 2.50 credits in the ISSTD Certificate Program.