Symptoms and Treatment Considerations for a Group of 70 Children Abused in a Presumed Child Pornography Ring
During the last three years, I have been treating and supervising the treatment of a cohort of 70 children who have been abused in an organized methodology through a network of abusers with access to their schools. It has been hard to interrupt the abuse and diagnose the difficulties of the children as many of them present with developmental disorders as their abuse may start at a very young age and the professionals evaluating them presume they are developmentally delayed. However, over time a picture has emerged of extreme abuse, likely with the creation of child pornography one of the motives. This presentation will discuss the treatment challenges and rewards of working with this unique group of youngsters.
At the conclusion of this session participants will be able to:
- Differentiate between the presentation of early abuse and developmental disabilities
- Achieve mastery in play re-enactments to counter posttraumatic play
- Deal with parts that may be perpetrator introjects and continuing to command the child towards misbehaviors
Presenter: Joyanna Silberg, PhD
Presenter Bio: Joyanna Silberg, Ph.D.is the Coordinator of Trauma Disorders Services for children adolescents of Sheppard Pratt Health System. Dr. Silberg is internationally known as a pioneering expert in the study of dissociative disorders and complex trauma in children and adolescents. She has edited and authored many works on these topics, including her classic book, The Dissociative Child. Her psychotherapy practice specializes in children and adolescents suffering from posttraumatic and dissociative symptoms and disorders. Her forensic practice specializes in child sexual abuse. She is Executive Vice President of the Leadership Council on Child Abuse and Interpersonal Violence.
- 1.50 ISSTD Certificate ProgramThis program is eligible for 1.50 credits in the ISSTD Certificate Program.
"Your Price" above reflects your price based on your membership status. In the checkout process you will be asked to specify your career level and may be eligible for further discounts based on your selection.
- ISSTD defines a student as those enrolled in a program of study leading to a degree or certification in the mental health field and who have an interest in trauma and dissociation.
- ISSTD defines an emerging professional as mental health professionals who have completed an advanced degree and are in the first three years of their career (or first three years after graduation for researchers).
- If you do not fall into one of the above categories please register as Professional/Retired.
These prices are for Tier I countries. For a list of countries by Tier click here. If you are located in a country that falls into Tier II-VI please contact ISSTD at email@example.com to receive the appropriate discount code.