Time Effective Intervention Techniques for Crisis Management in the Treatment of Dissociative Identity Disorder
The treatment of dissociative disorders is a complex endeavor which requires the application of specialized techniques and an understanding of an elaborate sequence of defensive behaviors. While ongoing weekly sessions with dissociative disordered clients usually present unique and compelling treatment conditions, the intensity of these conditions typically magnify under emergency and crisis situations. This presentation will provide a number of crisis intervention techniques to assist in not only managing the emergency but promote productive treatment progress.
This session was originally presented as part of a virtual conference in October 2021.
Upon Completion of this presentation, participants will be able to:
- Explain the distinction between emergency feelings and true emergencies
- Describe data on the epidemiology of DID
- Discuss the key aspects of crisis management for dissociative disorders
- Describe the dynamics of suicidal behavior and how to work with high level suicidal intent
- Explain the meaning of triggers and trigger management in crisis intervention
- Recognize how ACT principles can be effectively applied to crisis management
Peter Maves, PhD is a Licensed Clinical Psychologist, practicing in Longmont, Colorado since 1982, specializing in the treatment of complex trauma and dissociative disorders. He completed his PhD in Clinical Psychology at the University of Colorado at Boulder in 1982 and is the former Assistant Director of the Emergency Psychiatric Service of Boulder. He was the Clinical Director of Adams Community Mental Health Center and developed and was the Clinical Director of Centennial Peak’s Hospital’s Trauma and Dissociative Disorders Treatment Program. He was the Clinical Director of Columbine Hospital’s National Trauma Center. Dr. Maves has served as a Practice Monitor for the Grievance Board, State of Colorado and was an oral licensing examiner for the Colorado State Board of Psychologist Examiners, Department of Regulatory Agencies. Dr. Maves is a frequent presenter at national and international conferences on the treatment of complex trauma, dissociative disorders, traumatic brain injuries and military trauma. He is a Clinical Instructor at the University of Colorado at Boulder, supervising PhD graduate students in Clinical Psychology. He is a Fellow and Board member of the International Society for the Study of Trauma and Dissociation, a Diplomate in Clinical Forensic Counseling and a member of the European Society for Trauma and Dissociation.
- 1.50 APAThe International Society for the Study of Trauma and Dissociation is approved by the American Psychological Association to sponsor continuing education for psychologists. The International Society for the Study of Trauma and Dissociation maintains responsibility for this program and its content.
- 1.50 ASWB ACEThe International Society for the Study of Trauma and Dissociation (ISSTD), #1744, is approved to offer social work continuing education by the Association of Social Work Boards (ASWB) Approved Continuing Education (ACE) program. Organizations, not individual courses, are approved as ACE providers. State and provincial regulatory boards have the final authority to determine whether an individual course may be accepted for continuing education credit. ISSTD maintains responsibility for this course. ACE provider approval period: 08/20/2021 – 08/20/2024. Social workers completing this course receive 1.50 continuing education credits.
- 1.50 ISSTD Certificate ProgramThis program is eligible for 1.50 credits in the ISSTD Certificate Program.
"Your Price" above reflects your final price based on your membership status and career level.
- ISSTD defines a student as those enrolled in a program of study leading to a degree or certification in the mental health field and who have an interest in trauma and dissociation.
- ISSTD defines an emerging professional as mental health professionals who have completed an advanced degree and are in the first three years of their career (or first three years after graduation for researchers).
- If you do not fall into one of the above categories please register as Professional/Retired.
These prices are for Tier I countries. For a list of countries by Tier click here. If you are located in a country that falls into Tier II-VI please contact ISSTD at email@example.com to receive the appropriate discount code.
All purchases of recorded content are final.