Vicarious Trauma: Impacts and Risks of Trauma Work on the Clinician
This presentation will begin with a focus on defining Vicarious Trauma and associated terms. Next, we will focus on the potential impacts of Vicarious Trauma on the trauma therapist, both personally and professionally. A primary goal of this workshop will be to help trauma therapists recognize current risk factors in their own practices and spot early signs of Vicarious Trauma so they can implement measures to reduce the impact of Vicarious Trauma before it leads to burnout.
Potential to Distress: No
Upon Completion of this webinar, participants will be able to:
- Define and recognize vicarious trauma
- Identify the risk factors that contribute to the onset of vicarious trauma
- Outline the effects of vicarious trauma on therapy outcomes
- Describe the interplay of vicarious trauma and countertransference
- Discuss vicarious resilience and describe the application of this concept to their own practices
Presenter: Faige Flakser, LMSW
Presenter Biography: Faige Flakser is a Certified Complex Trauma Professional, practicing trauma psychotherapy in NYC. She studied advanced trauma work in The Institute of Contemporary Psychotherapy as well as in ISSTD. She also trained in EMDR, IFS, Somatic Attachment and Polyvagal Theory. Faige is the incoming co-chair of ISSTD's SIG on Vicarious Trauma, where she brings her experience and skill in trauma work, to focus on the needs of the clinician.
Presenter: Cynthia Wilson, PhD, MA, ATR-BC
Presenter Biography: Cynthia Wilson PhD, MA, ATR-BC has been practicing Art Therapy for over 15 years with a PhD in Art Therapy, masters in Marriage and Family Therapy and a Certificate in Art Therapy from Notre Dame de Namur University (NDNU). She holds both registration and board certification as an Art Therapist. Her clinical dissertation research and individual practicum topics included destigmatization, collaborative care, attunement, communication, trauma and dissociative spectrum disorders. In private practice, she works with children, adults, groups and families with issues of trauma, dementia, dissociation, behavioral and learning delays, grief and loss, anxiety, depression, and rehabilitation, skilled nursing and sub-acute placements. She has been the Central Valley Regional Representative for the Northern Ca Art Therapy Association (NorCATA) since 2016 and is currently also the Acting President and Regional Rep Liaison. As reg rep she has curated 3 public art shows for people to express their transformation with art therapy and designed a protocol as response to the Northern Ca wild fires in Paradise. She organized the implementation of and co-facilitated an art festival immediately after the Ca fires and further organized and co-facilitated a year of monthly art therapy support groups for fire survivors. She has also written a chapter on Art Therapy and collaborative care with sex trafficked individuals. Her career as an art therapist is substantial to the field of trauma to bridge the gaps between credentials for collaborative care and advocate when words can not.
- 1.50 APAThe International Society for the Study of Trauma and Dissociation is approved by the American Psychological Association to sponsor continuing education for psychologists. The International Society for the Study of Trauma and Dissociation maintains responsibility for this program and its content.
- 1.50 ISSTD Certificate ProgramThis program is eligible for 1.50 credits in the ISSTD Certificate Program.
"Your Price" above reflects your final price based on your membership status and career level.
- ISSTD defines a student as those enrolled in a program of study leading to a degree or certification in the mental health field and who have an interest in trauma and dissociation.
- ISSTD defines an emerging professional as mental health professionals who have completed an advanced degree and are in the first three years of their career (or first three years after graduation for researchers).
- If you do not fall into one of the above categories please register as Professional/Retired.
These prices are for Tier I countries. For a list of countries by Tier click here. If you are located in a country that falls into Tier II-VI please contact ISSTD at email@example.com to receive the appropriate discount code.