When Art Therapy Meets EMDR: An Integrative Workshop
Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing (EMDR) is posited to work with traumatic memory using bilateral stimulation to facilitate new neural connections for adaptive information processing. For many adults and children suffering from complex trauma, however, challenges in implementing the standard protocol can be encountered and may necessitate some creative modifications or novel techniques. Art therapy is widely recognized as a powerful tool for working with complex trauma and dissociation, as the art making process circumvents the difficulty with finding words and provides direct access to implicitly stored traumatic memory. In a blended and integrative approach, Art Therapy and EMDR can perfectly complement each other in creating a unique form of treatment for complex trauma and dissociation.
Phase-oriented trauma treatment will provide the backdrop for this workshop from which we will experiment with tools from both art therapy and EMDR. Participants will learn new approaches for creative history taking, sensory based psychoeducation, art-based resource development, enhanced mentalization skills and graphic-narrative tools for accessing and processing traumatic memory. Discussion of clinical case material will further support the experiential learning.
Participants in this workshop will experience the power of art therapy when integrated withing the eight phases and three-prongs of EMDR Therapy. We will explore multiple tools and techniques incorporating basic art materials and art-based processes to support and enhance the EMDR protocol. Creating drawings will make tangible the expression of traumatic memory and will facilitate a titrated process for reprocessing. Alternating bilateral stimulation will be explored through various tapping, mark making and movement processes. Thinking “outside the box,” this workshop will inspire participants with new, creative approaches to trauma treatment that can be readily applied for use with a variety of clients.
30 Minutes - Intro to Art Therapy for Working With Trauma
30 Minutes - Intro to EMDR for Working with Trauma
30 Minutes - Integrative Tools Blending Art and EMDR
60 Minutes - Case Presentations and Demo
30 Minutes - Discussion of Applications and Resources
This session was originally presented as a live conference session in April 2021.
At the conclusion of this session participants will be able to:
- Define art therapy and its unique advantages in treatment of trauma and dissociation
- Describe the eight phases and three prongs of the EMDR protocol
- Practice three techniques that demonstrate how art therapy can be integrated into the eight phases of EMDR therapy
Presenter: Tally L. Tripp, MA, MSW, ATR-BC
Presenter Bio: Tally Tripp MA, MSW, ATR-BC, CTT is a registered, board certified Art Therapist, Licensed Clinical Social Worker and Certified Trauma Therapist with a private practice specializing in experiential approaches for the treatment of psychological trauma. She is the Director of the Art Therapy Clinic at the George Washington University and an Assistant Professor at the GW Art Therapy Program. Tally is certified in Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing (EMDR) and Sensorimotor Psychotherapy (SP). She is a Fellow of the International Society for the Study of Trauma and Dissociation (ISST-D) where she is the co-founder and chair of the Special Interest Group on Creative Arts Therapies. Tally maintains a private practice in psychotherapy in Alexandria, VA, specializing in experiential approaches, and particularly art therapy, for the treatment of trauma related disorders.
Presenter: Elizabeth A. Davis, MFA, MS, LCAT, ATR-BC
Presenter Bio: Elizabeth Davis MFA, MS, ATR-BC, LCAT is a board certified, licensed art therapist with over 20 years’ experience in the field of creative arts therapy and trauma. Her approach integrates the modalities of Art Therapy, EMDR therapy, parts work, Sensorimotor Psychotherapy, mindfulness and play therapy. Currently Elizabeth serves as Director of the Trauma Institute & Child Trauma Institute satellite in the Buffalo, NY. Elizabeth’s focus is integrating creative and expressive modalities into the treatment of complex trauma Additionally she is involved in training, consultation, and intensive trauma therapy. Elizabeth is EMDR certified, a consultant and trainer for TI&CTI in Northampton, MA.
- 3.00 APAThe International Society for the Study of Trauma and Dissociation is approved by the American Psychological Association to sponsor continuing education for psychologists. The International Society for the Study of Trauma and Dissociation maintains responsibility for this program and its content.
- 3.00 ASWB ACEThe International Society for the Study of Trauma and Dissociation (ISSTD), #1744, is approved to offer social work continuing education by the Association of Social Work Boards (ASWB) Approved Continuing Education (ACE) program. Organizations, not individual courses, are approved as ACE providers. State and provincial regulatory boards have the final authority to determine whether an individual course may be accepted for continuing education credit. ISSTD maintains responsibility for this course. ACE provider approval period: 08/20/2021 – 08/20/2024. Social workers completing this course receive 3.00 continuing education credits.
- 3.00 ISSTD Certificate ProgramThis program is eligible for 3.00 credits in the ISSTD Certificate Program.
"Your Price" above reflects your final price based on your membership status and career level.
- ISSTD defines a student as those enrolled in a program of study leading to a degree or certification in the mental health field and who have an interest in trauma and dissociation.
- ISSTD defines an emerging professional as mental health professionals who have completed an advanced degree and are in the first three years of their career (or first three years after graduation for researchers).
- If you do not fall into one of the above categories please register as Professional/Retired.
These prices are for Tier I countries. For a list of countries by Tier click here. If you are located in a country that falls into Tier II-VI please contact ISSTD at email@example.com to receive the appropriate discount code.